Thursday 10 July 2014

Recipe: Breakfast in a Jar

"Do you cook, Emily?" is a question posed relatively often to me - occasionally coming with a judgmental/doubtful look upon the face.

I don't cook at home. Mom does aplenty and she's wonderful at it. When I was in Melbourne, however, the kitchen was deemed my best friend as a means of survival and feeling content (therapeutic cooking, I suppose). "Crisis delectably averted," as Nigella Lawson would put it.

Instagram featured @tumblinbumblincrumblincookie not long ago and this girl, Lin, is so brilliant not only with her spread of healthy recipes for breakfast but also how neat her picture compositions are. Her breakfast in a jar, in which she named Bircher Muesli (recipe here), caught my eye and the thought of trying it out has been crossing my mind ever since. 

Just recently, a friend of mine, Helen, whom is also part of this "Breakfast Jar Club", told me how she couldn't stop eating the contents of the jar in her car on her way out. To paint a picture of the extent of this, she wished the traffic light stayed red longer as she consumes away (what even?!). Helen sent me a link (here) to a recipe and that finally got me down to doing it after weeks of "thinking about it". I'm amused at myself on how much effort it takes to make me do something so simple which requires minimal washing up.

For someone who doesn't cook, this is a piece of cake to do. So if you're a lazy creature like me, time to move your lazy bums and get started on this beautiful mess. No baking, grilling, steaming, frying, boiling, etc etc etc required.

The ingredients I used are not exactly the healthiest or most nutritious options because I made use of what I already have at home to avoid wastage. 

What you'll need:
  • 3 tablespoons of oats (I used instant oats though rolled oats would be better based on what I've been reading)
  • 5-7 tablespoons of Greek yogurt (to your own preference)
  • 1/4 cup of milk (skimmed milk works too)
  • 1-2 tablespoons of honey (to your own preference, also try to avoid processed ones)
  • A handful of Post's Raisin Bran (or any healthy cereal - Koko Krunch doesn't count)
  • A jar with a lid (get a Mason jar or one with a cork lid like mine from Daiso)
Suggestion: add about a handful of a crushed granola bar rather the Post Raisin Bran for texture. I didn't have granola with me so ... :(

You may add in any type of fruits you like. I chose these three because I had them on hand:
  • 1/4 fresh mango (the sweeter the better)
  • A bunch of dark grapes (remove the seeds for your own peace)
  • 1 small banana (ripe or slightly overripe)


Start off with an oats base. The milk goes all the way down thanks to our friend gravity. You want the oats to soak up all that dairy goodness.

Place a layer of sliced bananas and top it with Greek Yogurt.

Add in the mango pieces. Couldn't help but to have some myself!

Add another layer of Greek yogurt and pop in the grapes. Look at how it's already creating purple stains on the pure white yogurt. 

Add in the honey.

Finally, pour the milk in.
 
Hang on, where does the raisin bran come in?
See that ample amount of space between the contents of the jar and the lid? That's where this cereal goes. Only do this immediately before you eat. If you choose to use granola, layer it along with the rest of the ingredients overnight. 

Not of the best presentation but here's what I popped into my fridge tonight. It looks messy, I know. You'll be thanking the universe in the morning, probably. 



No comments:

Post a Comment