Wednesday 4 March 2015

LA/PA @ Bangsar

Hey everyone! Sorry for not updating frequently these days (I really try though). Hope you all celebrated Chinese New Year well and ate to your hearts' contents! I was in Penang again for Chinese New Year and managed to explore even more new places. Should I do a blog post about it? Let me know if you're keen in the comments :)

Have you heard of this food app called Burpple? No? I suggest you download it now and start following all those hungry foodies! Before I continue, please note that Burpple did not pay or ask me to mention them whatsoever. I am genuinely telling you about how great this food app is when it comes to looking for food and also sharing the ones your recommend! I'm typically a little lazy to write extremely long reviews these days like the ones on my blog unless there is something I have to say. Other than that, do check out more of my favourite places on my Burpple profile HERE.

Three Burpplers and I met up in Bangsar a few weeks back to catch up because it truly has been a while since we all first met last October. LA/PA (pronounced as "lapar". For non-Malaysians, it means "hungry") is one of the newest places to makan in Bangsar so naturally we collectively decided to meet there.

As usual, parking was a nightmare so I parked at Bangsar Village II to skip the tedious, endless rounding and rounding.




Here's are some quick snaps I took of the menu. We went during brunch so we ordered 4 out of 5 items of the "Breakfast" section along with a cup of coffee each. The coffee was pretty ... meh. Nothing to shout about.

Provencal French Toast [RM19.90] of dark rye loaf seasoned with herbs de provence made with kale, basil pesto and feta cheese.

Fair warning to those who are appealed by its name, this is a savoury dish and may come off as oddly otherworldly to some.  I was impressed at the seasoning but thought it would go better with the conventional pasta. One of the Burpplers didn't fancy it considering french toasts are normally served sweet here in Malaysia. Nevertheless, it was a great thing we tried it for a new experience. The price is a downside because of its puny portion. 

Bread Basket [RM12.00] of assorted house-made breads served with garlic herb butter, spiced brown sugar & raisin butter and Bonne Maman jam. 

This is something definitely worth ordering if you're not particular about a wide variety of flavours. For that price and that amount of bread and spreads, it's a great breakfast right there. I love garlic so the garlic herb butter was a bliss to my tastebuds. 

The only fault with this was not with the dish but rather the kitchen. Our spiced sugar & raisin butter had a plastic wrapping around it. Luckily, one of the Burpplers decided to investigate it before consuming (we thought it was gelatine!). The waitress briefly apologised, took the entire dish back to the kitchen and returned with all the spreads replaced. We discussed if we should ask for a refund but decided to just let it slide.  

Pancakes & Orange Quinoa Compote [ RM19.90] of fluffy buttermilk pancakes served with spiced orange and quinoa compote, Indonesian long pepper and vanilla bean whipped cream.

The picture looks as unenthusiastic as I was when I took my first bite. The presentation made it a bit hard to grab a good picture of all 3 pieces of pancakes (or maybe I'm just a horrible photographer). Photo composition aside, they were just average pancakes lacking the fluffy texture to live up to its description in the menu. They were not all fluffy, based on what reviews are saying. They were more like a cross between fluffy and chewy. Some may like it, but sorry I don't. The quinoa was a redundancy on a plate and the orange could be just the wrong type or the wrong fruit even. It's sad to say that none of us enjoyed this over-priced breakfast. 

Duck Eggs in Purgatory [RM21.00] made with Australian spinach in creamy garlic sauce, a dash of paprika and served with baguette.

Another garlicky type of food, but this one saved me from leaving with a disappointing brunch in my stomach. It tasted so good and well flavoured even though the eggs were a wee bit overcooked. Very satisfying dish! 

Maybe they're trying out new flavours, maybe they're trying too hard to add a twist to the classic. But one thing's for sure, it'll be a while till my next visit.


Information
Address: 15, Jalan Telawi 3, Bangsar Baru, 59100 Kuala Lumpur.
Opening hours: 8.00 a.m. - 11.00 p.m. every day
Contact no.: +60322014395

No comments:

Post a Comment