Saturday 30 March 2013

Joe's Kitchen, Subang Jaya

I can't exactly remember the last time I had good thin crust pizza. I used to enjoy the firewood pizza at Asia Cafe when it first opened. I have not had that in years! I think it's because pizza is normally best enjoyed with company seeing how it is more appropriate for 2 people or more. 

Tonight, my family and I went to a new restaurant situated along a row not many people in SS15 would expect a restaurant to be. It opened about two weeks ago. From the pattern of the shops along that particular row, it is actually sort of considered a back lane (i.e. back kitchen, back of the store, etc.). Not only that, there's something else which makes it more extraordinary. Located on the other side of the shop lot, is a barber (Joe's Barbershop) owned by the same person. I Googled it up and discovered this article here and thought it was well written. Pretty convenient, eh? I think I'll be sort of suffering if I were to get my hair done there because the smell of food next door would probably trigger a couple of cravings. Not good!

Setting


The floor is made out of laminated wood and the restaurant is well-lit. I absolutely love the interior design of the restaurant - most especially the brick wall as I personally think it beats a plain white wall with picture frames and what have you. I don't know how else to describe how a brick wall adds an aesthetic value to the ambience of a restaurant but I guess that's just my personal taste. Perhaps it is an excellent compliment to what I had for dinner. Looking at the size of this place, it's not suitable for large groups. Preferably those with a maximum of 5 people. 
 
The signboard.

Two tables available for outdoor seating.


Their kitchen/cashier.

The entire view of the restaurant from my seat. They have a TV too! And see the barbershop behind?

I would've sat here, actually. Love the brick wall!


Menu



Prices of the drinks set aside. Look at the pizzas. Now, where else in Subang Jaya can you get 12-inched pizzas for those prices (do not mention franchises)? Also, you can make your own pizza and Aglio Olio!


What went into our tummies


Note: Our pizzas came within 10 minutes. 

Chicken BBQ pizza. Not too heavy on the sauce.

Make Your Own Aglio Oilo. We had it with chicken and beef bacon. I was dying inside when they were cooking this because of the beautiful, fragrant smell of fried garlic (my weakness). If it weren't for the oiliness, this would've been an excellently done dish. 

My pizza choice as recommended by the cook: Pepperoni (beef). A light spread of cheese and tomato base compliments the thin crust nicely. 

That black, powdery residue added much flavour to the pizza. 

The back of my half-eaten slice. 


A couple of tips


All the pizzas are 12-inches in diameter and thin crust. You can have two flavours on your pizza if you wish to. 

I do think that the coffee is a little too expensive. I saw the waitress serving a cup of hot coffee and it didn't look worth it for its price unless you're gonna be parking yourself there for half a day or something. So I say stick to the soft drinks! 

I'm honestly not too sure how far can you go with the amount of ingredients in making your own Aglio Olio. But you have to work with what's available. 

Finding your way there


When coming from the Maybank SS15 entrance, go all the way until you see K3K Benta Kaya. Turn into the road before that restaurant which will bring you to the same row as Starbucks on the other end. Turn into the row just after Hailam Kopitiam on your left and the restaurant is further down. If it may help, Station One is at the end of the row and Crayon Burger is situated at the row perpendicular to this. 

Information


Address: 18-G, Jalan SS15/18B, 47500 Subang Jaya, Selangor.
Operating days: Every day
Operating hours: 11 a.m. - 11 p.m.
Parking: Public - no parking ticket required after 6.00 p.m.
Joe's Barbershop Twitter/Instagram: joes47500

The verdict says: ★ ★ ★ (out of 4)

No comments:

Post a Comment